Sunday, September 23, 2012

Linux Mint with Cinnamon: Short Review

I've used probably 20 Linux distributions. ranging from Suse to Mint to Fedora to RedHat to Ubuntu and many variations of them all. I've never found one I liked as much as Mint 13 with Cinnamon. I had used Mint 12 and 11 before, and they were nice, but I'd always end up going back to my stable Ubuntu install. It was always working and perfect. Until the 12.04 upgrade, which has been pretty bad. The blame is all on Compiz, which overheats my laptop to no end. I tried using Fluxbox but it just wasn't doing the job. So I was introduced to Mint 13 with Cinnamon. Oh. My. Gosh.


This is a screenshot of my desktop. One of the few things that I changed was where the toolbar was. By default it is on the bottom, Windows-like. but I prefer it on the top. I added Chrome, a must for every computer, and messed around a little with the keyboard, power, and display settings. Mint is running so fast and stable! My computer, which was getting unbearably hot with Ubuntu, is much cooler now. Ubuntu has always advertised that it "just works." Mint "works," and works much better. It seems faster, and has all the same pros of Ubuntu. There is the aptitude package manager, which everyone loves, and the software update seems less obtrusive that the Ubuntu version. Here is what the start menu bar looks like.
Anyways, I recommend Linux Mint with Cinnamon to anyone, but especially newbies. To those hardcore users, like Slackware and Arch guys, you probably won't like it. It only takes about 30 minutes to install, and you don't have to compile anything yourself.  My wireless worked perfectly on install, which is getting more normal nowadays. This is your typical large distro, which includes tons of software you'll probably never use. I haven't put anything on it besides Chrome, but since Mint is built on Ubuntu, it'll probably run most anything. More to come later, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment